Saturday, June 26, 2010

Epilepsy.....i haz it

Since I was 14/15, I've had "episodes" every couple of months where I see words that aren't there, usually resulted in a headache and fatigue, and occasionally (like less than once a year) a seizure-like thing. We never did anything because we thought it was just because I read too much/stayed up too late, etc. After having a seizure and black-out on the night of the 16th that resulted in an ambulance ride and a night of waiting in the hospital, I was referred to a neurologist. Who told me this Wednesday I have epilepsy.

The whole time in the hospital waiting room, I was pretty calm. I prayed for the other people there, and talked to my dad, read my Bible. Waiting in the urgent neurology clinic was different. I was kind of nervous there. The thing about epilepsy is, if the seizures happen only once in a while, I won't know if they're gone for good. The doctor said sometimes there's no structural defect to see.

So now my life for the next 4 mos:

>Don't lean over balconies (broke that rule already on my porch to look at a rose. Fail.)
>Don't stand talking on the stairs.
>I could drown in the bathtub. (To get.....a life jacket?? :) )
>No swimming alone.
>Get a family doctor.

>Two tests (search after seizure):

# a sleep-deprived EEG - no caffeine after midnight before the test, no Zs until after - because all these seizures/episodes take place around sleep/waking - they want me stressed.

# an MRI. I've been thinking I'll play Third Day's "Tunnel" on my CD player before I leave, to get me in the right frame of mood. Whaddaya think? ;)

> See the neurologist again to go over test results, and get prescriptions which I have to take from now on. I asked not to go on meds until after the tests (makes sense to get pre-drug results)

I'm approaching this with a mixture of peace fear and humor, and I'd appreciate your prayers for me. I've already considered the possibility that maybe God wants me to have this for the rest of my life, and I can live with that. Please pray for my family, too; that they will have peace and not worry about me. Thanks so much in advance. I love you all.

God bless,

~Laura~

No comments:

Post a Comment