Monday, January 25, 2010

It's right behind you!

The pigeon bobbed along in its funny way through the Price Chopper parking lot, right past my dad's van. Because I happen to like pigeons, I walked up to it. Apparently used to people approaching it, the bird didn't zoom away, but rather just made its way a little faster away from me. Eventually, it joined a group of other pigeons near the sidewalk.

I saw a man waiting for the bus, leaning up against the glass shelter, just at the doorway. He was eating some chips out of a small bag. When he noticed the pigeons, he started tossing some of the chips to them. They ran after the morsels and snapped them up.

One of the chips the man tossed landed on the back of a pigeon. The bird didn't seem to notice, though. He just kept right on chasing each subsequent chip, never knowing that he already had one. Now I'm one of those people who sees a piece of conspicuous lint on somebody's clothes and gets annoyed. I wanted to go over to that pigeon and knock the chip right off its back!

Do you feel like that sometimes? Missing out on God, whom you can't see, and chasing after all the things you can see? If you can't find God, turn around and look. He's right behind you!

1 comment: